Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Singularity Sky - Charles Stross

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted about what I've read.

Latest is Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. I've read a few things by him now (Accelerando, Glasshouse, The Family Trade) and he's got quite a range. Accelerando may be a bit of a tough read for some -- the wonky stuff comes fast and hard, but Singularity Sky is more approachable, its subversion hidden in a very Weber-ish mil-SF/space opera frame.

A couple of spies (working as a diplomat and an engineer) at not-cross purposes aboard a baroque starship en route to rescue a planet turned post-industrial overnight makes for a fun read. Art critics, Marxists, aged Admirals, and ultra-high tech crisscross nicely. Oh yeah, and a love story.

I wonder whether the space opera is homage or parody with his subversive streak (self-propelling luggage may be another homage to Pratchett, dunno).

So go read already... while I see if I can get a cheap copy of the sequel, Iron Sunrise.

No comments: